View Single Post
Old 21st October 2012, 03:08 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think this is a cavalry sabre indeed for an officer in one of the units in India during the Raj, however I disagree with the East India Company attribution as well as the idea of being transitional between M1796 and M1821. As far as I know there were no interim versions (certainly such things might be though), but most importantly, these distinct rounded back blades and the prounounced yelman were typical pattern on Prussian M1879, German M1889 and the Saxon M1891 (all illustrated in Wagner, 1967). These type blades are not seen early in the century, though the rounded back blades do occur on a number of early British blades, not with this yelman.

The example discussed elsewhere with similar blade and thought to be transitional with its 'beaked' stirrup hilt of early form is also likely to be a remounted example in Indian service and refurbished with Solingen blade.

It is important to note that many British patterns were still produced for officers and often general issue to other ranks in native Indian regiments long after superceded by new regulation patterns. The M1796 stirrup hilts with the same hatchet point blades were produced as late as 1880s and 90s I believe (I have one by Bourne & Sons) but with smaller hilts and atypical cast metalwork. The M1821 type hilts were produced as 'colonial' style for India in the 1880s as well (the blades were designated by specific lengths to Bengal and Madras in variation) and many units carried these as a form of 'regulation' pattern.

The East India Company effectively ceased in 1857 after the Mutiny, and as it seems the terminus ante quem for these German blades, which this example seems to be is c.1879 (the earliest German pattern with them), this sword must have produced around that time. In my opinion this may be a specially made sword by British contractor for Indian regiment officer using German blade which has been etched with this inscription as well as what appears to be false damascene, beautifully done!

The script may well be Gurmukhi, a Punjabi script used also by the Sikhs as I understand, and quite possibly this may allude to an officer in one of the numerous Sikh regiments in the British Army. While not a linguist of course, there seems to be a possibility this might be a SE Asian script such as Siamese or Burmese if the Punjabi notion is ruled out.

I very much agree, this sword is exciting and outstanding regardless of its later period, one of the most colorful times with British cavalry in my opinion.
I hope this might of some help.

Regarding the indeterminate device and the cross on the blade, it may well be a St. Andrews cross, as many Scottish officers were in India, and as a matter of fact I have seen basket hilts worn by officers in Khyber Pass and environs in photos , and there is also a website noting Scottish presence in India titled 'The Tiger and the Thistle'. This of course relates to early presence in EIC India mostly from southern regions into Bengal, but pertinant just the same.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote