View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008, 02:41 AM   #19
ariel

Gav,
One can make a lot of arguments and invent a lot of reasons why this kindjal should still be viewed as representing some valuable offshot of a venerable tradition.
I suspect you are correct in ID-ing this blade as older and better than average quality. Still, the entire gestalt is of a late ( very late) manufacture when the real craftsmanship was no longer in use. There are professional masters in the Caucasus even now, and they produce expensive, time consuming and elaborate items. One can see these examples even in books and museum catalogs. Most of them are in poor taste, employ simpler techniques and compensate ( or try to) for the lack of real expertise by modern forms and features. This one does not have even that.
You may like it, and please feel free to enjoy it. Had you said that it was bought just because of personal interest or some irresistible urge, I would have understood. After all, we all bought pretty crummy things just because of emotional motives.
What I am objecting to is the attempt to present it as a legitimate example of an authentic antique and real tradition. It is not. I would not have bought it. But that would be just my personal decision.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote