View Single Post
Old 25th January 2019, 06:19 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hey Capn Mark!
I have been remiss in not heralding in the arrival of the new blade in your armoury!!! It is fantastic, and as you have well pointed out, a good 17th century hanger (latter) and with a stout 'Wundes' blade.

I would note here for your benefit, as a faithful pirate author, this is nearly identical to the 'Admiral Benbow' sword (Annis "Naval Swords" if I recall), and that was the name of the inn, in "Treasure Island" !

I had one of these same hangers some years back, but cannot recall maker it was either Wirsberg or Wundes, the mark looked like a sextant.

Your account of this period was as well put as can be said of these times, and the favor or disfavor of these monarchs depends on who you're talking with. It has nothing to do with misunderstanding the history, its that there could not have been more complexity involved. In the Jacobite rebellions the reasons were far more complex than simply Catholic vs. Protestant, much of it involved a culture in decline, and Highlander vs. Lowlander does not even work as there were no clear lines of demarcation.
I would leave that for other discussions, but again to the piracy matter, Blackbeard's ship, the "Queen Annes Revenge" suggests a Jacobite connotation.

Regarding these hangers, they were typically hilted in England, and from the time of the Hounslow works, one of the primary types were naval hangers.
Stuart Mowbray's book on English military swords is the best source ever!
While this example is considerably later than Hounslow, the Shotley Bridge works were well in place by its period. There were numbers of hangers brought in from Germany (the exit port for German blades was typically Rotterdam) and it is unclear whether these came in already hilted, or just the blades.....records indicate 'hangers'.

The cherubs etc. were among themes which were in place from earlier in the century, and the figures of period personages is in line of course with the well known 'mortuary' swords (thought to be called that for the executed Charles I) but such figures actually predated that event.

An outstanding piece Mark!!! which is perfectly placed in your collection and the times which are the theme in your exciting novels!!!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote