Thread: Kubur Questions
View Single Post
Old 20th June 2015, 03:56 PM   #19
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Thank you for the information Rick .
Just checked the ramrod depth; it's false .
Can you make anything out of the stamp under the barrel ?
Were these barrels sourced from the area of manufacture; or imported and embellished ?
Another question; this pistol has never had a barrel band; what was the barrel seated in to keep it in the stock ?
Hi Rick. Finally back to this Thread.
1) OK. False ramrod. More evidence of being locally made/assembled. The lock also looks locally made.
2) Unfortunately, "markings" are not one of my strong suites. But it does look like the numeral 4 from the photos, and does look like a stamp. But the proposed broad arrow doesn't appear to be a stamp (?). Looks more like a cut or engraving. The same with the two straight marks just ahead of the arrow. I've never seen one of these pistols with an English proof. Unless Afghan made. Seen Belgium, Italian, and even one German marked barrel, and of course locally made barrels. But not English. Or at least any proofs.
The other stamp, that looks locally done, I have no idea.
3) The barrels, locks, and some hardware were both locally made and imported. There were even complete guns, European made, and decorated for local tastes, and exported for re-sale. That's also why these pistols are often mis-identified as Italian, Dutch, or something else. So the combination/mix of parts all over the map you might say. LOL
4) Most of these pistols had one or more barrel bands. Your's may have had a single barrel band at the muzzle end with a groove on the lower part to accomodate the rod. But check the bottom of the barrel for any evidence that there may have been one or two underlugs that would have been soldered to the barrel, or a small square, shallow cut in the barrel to accomodate one or more pins. In other words, the barrel may have originally been pin fastend, but the underlugs that held the pins are now gone. Is there one or more small holes in the stock where a barrel pin(s) might have once been?
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote