View Single Post
Old 14th April 2005, 03:39 AM   #32
tom hyle

I'm not so sure; I see your point in terms of the peined tang, the buttplate, and the two ferules, but I'm not so sure about that ridge as an European feature. It compares to sharpish/raised ridges on handles on knives and spears from Japan. It also seems to relate to the way on some Visayan octagon section handles the most forward side of the octagon is so narrow as to almost be an edge, and some even view them as, and some even are, heptagonal. Also (and I think related to the Visayan ones I just mentioned in some measure; in this feature), a ridge running down the finger edge is seen on the "planar ukiran" k(e)ris handles with the heptagonal cross-sections. Also, it resembles the sharpish edge at the front of the hoof on some hoof pommels, and this is real noticeable if you think of ones with a rear ferule and buttplate fitted to the hoof. On the other hand, a similarly oriented egg-shape cross section is often recommended in knife making instruction writings in N America; on the hind leg, I don't neccessarily see it that much on old European stuff that comes to mind? The widest part of some sabre hilts with "swelled center" shaped grips.....axe handles......perhaps it is even a Philippine influence on the modern N American stuff.

Last edited by tom hyle; 14th April 2005 at 04:21 AM.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote