View Single Post
Old 1st May 2022, 09:36 AM   #36
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHorsa View Post
Dear all,

allow me to fetch up this old thread. It´s now nearly 10 Years I own this piece and it still won´t let me go. From time to time I do a bit of research on it and my biggest dream is to find a painting showing it´s owner with the sword I know it is very very unlikely, but I am sure such a painting once existed. The question is: did it survive and is it listed somewhere...

But anyway: I just stumbled over a picture I saved as a reference years ago with the comment "Sweden, 1660-90". I´ve found several swords with similar lion cross-guard, many of them indicates the Netherlands as origin but there are also pieces with other provenience. But this is the first time I found this wave-like decorations on the guards. Also the tool used to decorate the stylized head seems to be similar to the one used to form the lions coat. Maybe this can be a another hint to its origin.
Sadly I can´t remember where I saved it from, only that it was a (Swedish?) museums online gallery without more information.

Does anyone of you know similar examples?

Kind regards
Andreas
Not sure how ”Swedish” this piece could be. The lion as an animal was frequently used to represent the Kingdom of Sweden. Swords were mostly imported by Sweden from Netherlands and Germany until domestic manufacturing was established in Vira bruk, which had formal monopoly rights in military sword blade production 1635-1775. The smiths were imported from Germany like Caspar Kohl, Hans Danckwardt, Jurgen Ollich and Johan Bertram. There was also some sword production in Arboga, Norrköping, and Kvarnbacka-Wedevåg. These swords tended to be quite simple in design but functional. So if your sword was used in Sweden I guess it would have been made in Netherlands or Germany and imported.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote