View Single Post
Old 5th September 2015, 03:41 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaharlikaTimawa
"The word kampilan came into Spanish during the Moluccan campaigns of the sixteenth century as "a heavy, pointed cutlass [alfange]" -- inappropriately, however, since a cutlass had a curved blade weighted toward the tip for slashing blows, while the kampilan was straight. (Modern ones are two-handed weapons running to 90 centimeters.) It apparently was never manufactured by Visayan smiths but imported from parts of Mindanao, both Muslim and pagan, which had direct culture contact with the Moluccas. Like the kris, it was coated with poison before going into battle, and the fiction that the weapon itself has been rendered poisonous by some alchemy no doubt enhanced its market value. Fine ones were handed down from father to son, bore personal names known to the enemy, and could be recognized by the sound of little bells which formed part of their tasseled decoration."
MaharlikaTimawa, I draw particular attention to the notes above that I have highlighted in bold and the previous sentence.

I see no error in your historical notation about these Kampilan being a heavy pointed cutlass, they may well have been in the day, much more so than later times...I say this because I own a curved cutlass sized Kampilan.

Gavin

Last edited by Gavin Nugent; 5th September 2015 at 11:41 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote