View Single Post
Old 13th July 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
Cakszz

Quote:
Hello, welcome to the forum!
Yes thanks

Quote:
That's exciting to have someone from an originating culture here!
I thought mostly dayak ini this forum..

Quote:
Are there possibly any other traditional bladesmiths that you could contact and who might pass on info before it goes extinct?
Yes there ara some.. that live in the upriver in Katingan and Kahayan.. and mostly good mandau come from this area..

Quote:
If you could obtain samples and pics of these 2 as well as other ores utilized for making iron/steel and forging mandau that would be terrific!

Is one of these sources "iron sand" from rivers?
I have the pic of raw mantikei and the mandau of mantikei.. but I need to ask the owner 1st whether he allow me to share it or not.. you will see how it bent by only rub it with "daun sirih"

Quote:
Any chance to get a translation of this song?
No... i dont.. they sing not in normal dayak language.. but "bahasa sangeng/ bahasa sangiang/ bahasa dewa" its kind of language that only can be understand by the basir (dayak priest).. in Kaharingan religion (original religion of Dayak).. in every ritual "balian" they will sing or pray in this language.. I can understand some words.. but not all.. if you like to see the ritual, come to central borneo if there is Tiwah ritual.. Tiwah is such a burrial ritual..

Quote:
Sorry for so many questions/requests but I am sure the specialized mandau collectors will be thrilled to have you on our forum!

Let us know if we can help your quest with pics from our pieces or other other info.

Regards,
Kai
hehe yes its oke...
Cakszz is offline   Reply With Quote