View Single Post
Old 5th July 2022, 06:43 PM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
That had to an awkward one to carry for a man of average height for the time (67", 2.04m). Do you think the serpentine shape was original to the blade? Is that flattened pear pommel a typical characteristic for Spanish rapiers?
This example could well be Portuguese, not Spanish; firstly because it was acquired in Portugal and secondly due to the system to secure hilt/quillons by welding them to the cup bowl, as (more) favoured by the Portuguese, and not with a pair of arch wings screwed inside the cup bowl bottom.
The fact that long rapiers were not practical to carry around didn't prevent those more prone to engage in (street) duels to commission the so called off mark (ilegal) swords. I am looking at a (Portuguese) book where i see off mark rapiers reaching 1.465 m, called in the period 'seven span' swords. We are also aware that rapiers were not carried verticaly but almost horizontaly, by means of a proper 'frog' and the laying of the owner's hand pressuring down the hilt. Ultimately the welthy nobles would have it carried the attendant page .
As the author of this book says; not discreet to carry in the waist, nor so easy to unsheath, not to mention the difficulty to handle such long swords in a fight, but they at the distance the most brave adversary.
Yes, pommels of this type are seen, a luxury detail to distinguish them from more humble ones.
And yes, undulated blades, whether made by means of hand filing or forged by the smith, are both original. Noting again the book i have been mentioning; i can see three examples with a undulated blade in it.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote