View Single Post
Old 29th March 2005, 11:21 PM   #42
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Guys:

The picture of the assembled Moro dignitaries is dominated by the two Americans in white and I am really surprised that an immigrant to the U.S. is the one to point out that the rotund gentleman in the center of the picture is William Howard Taft, then Governor of the Philippines and later President of the United States. Taft had left the Philippines by 1904, and from 1904-1908 he was supervising the construction of the Panama Canal.

The other distinguished gentleman in white is Major General Leonard Wood, Governor of Moro Province and later Army Chief of Staff under President Taft. Wood was only in the Philippines briefly, serving as Governor of Moro Province from 1903-1906, during which time he commanded U.S. troops in putting down a Moro rebellion in 1904. I believe the photograph dates from 1903-1904, when both Taft and Wood were in the Philippines.

Because the Moro in this picture are carrying weapons in close proximity to the distinguished U.S. administrators, it was probably taken before the Moro uprising that was put down by Wood. So I would guess the picture dates from 1903.

Very interesting picture.

Ian.

In the time I was posting my message, Federico beat me to the ID of Taft.

Last edited by Ian; 30th March 2005 at 12:16 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote