Thread: Chivalry
View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2006, 02:31 AM   #19
micas

Didn't know I was being vehement but I'm guessing it might be construed that way.

The point I was making is that "real" bravery would be someone making a decision to risk their lives, personal security without being forced into it and without an audience to shame them into bravery or the promise of fame.

Just recently I watched a documentary by Werner Herzog titled "Grizzly Man". It was about some guy who wanted to be "one with the grizzlies" and in the end was eaten by them along with his girlfriend (who feared the bears). The last moments were captured on audio and it shows how the girlfriend, despite her obvious fear, tried to drive the bear away from her boyfriend who had been mauled. The boyfriend was pleading for her to run away but she tried to save him and subsequently killed as well in an isolated part of Alaska.

These acts of personal bravery are worth more than the courage of following orders to attack a fortified position. I value that woman more for her decency as a human being.
micas is offline   Reply With Quote