View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2018, 01:52 AM   #4
kai

Hello Ian,

Quote:
In a recent discussion of a Borneo mandau, mention was made of fine rattan on the hilt being more indicative of older manufacture than coarser rattan wrappings.
This and craftsmanship may help to estimate age. However, there are so many peoples living on Borneo that generalizations are usually off or unreliable at best. For example, braided rattan on the grip of Kayan status mandau is extremely fine (cp. the first grip posted by Ben on that other thread) while the Kutai equivalent is still skilfully done but crafted from noticeably broader splitted rattan - we really need to compare items from a single culture here. Not only that but also each part/type of braiding or other rattan work separately...

Quote:
For present purposes I will refer to my sword as a parang naibur, although Albert van Zonneveld shows a similar sword in his book that is called langgai tinggang, and our Borneo experts may have other names they can offer too.
It is neither, sorry.

It is a type of Iban parang with symmetric edge (rather than a mandau with concave and convex sides); I don't believe we ever found a genuine name for this distinct type - maybe our member Primus can help with info from the source?

Quote:
First, I think the scabbard itself is old, possibly 19th C. The wood shows areas that had red pigment and lime decoration which have faded over time
These scabbards are quite rare - definitely a good catch!

Regarding age, I'd guess it to be quite a bit later though. Just a hunch based on craftsmanship, materials, etc.

Quote:
bound with bands of narrow rattan that have been woven intricately into characteristic designs. These contrast with the simple wrap with wide rattan strips to which a fiber rope is attached.
The wider rattan strips under the clip are typical and not per se a sign of recent work. I'm less convinced of the knots though - these look like later work for me...

Quote:
This rope forms a belt from which bear claws are suspended (Figures E, F), and the belt is completed with a plastic disk (Figure G) that hooks through a loop in the rope. I think this belt was likely added shortly before the sword was offered online.
Genuine belts of this scabbard type seem to come in lesser qualities, too. No idea why and I'd guess they got replaced regularly during active use.

The claws are certainly added very late: the remaining tissues would start rotting in a humid climate... Dito for the 3 smaller teeth.

The larger teeth appear to be a bit older though.

Quote:
The rattan wrapping on the hilt would seem to be of the “wider” variety mentioned in the mandau thread.
I believe the Iban tend to utilize broader splitted rattan - craftsmanship is not too bad and probably consistent with a vintage origin.

Quote:
The blade appears old, and I would date it with the scabbard as possibly 19th C.
The blade may well be older. Tough call since the quality doesn't seem to be high which tends to make estimates much more difficult.

I hope others will chime in, too!

Regards,
Kai

Last edited by kai; 23rd February 2018 at 07:38 AM. Reason: correcting auto correction... ;)
kai is offline   Reply With Quote