View Single Post
Old 1st November 2017, 11:56 AM   #227
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

I think the give away on the Khanjar above is the crown which is bulbous and seemingly oversized which is the fashion on Khanjars / Jambia in the Asir region of what was Yemen pre 1923 and is now part of Saudia Arabia. Omani people call this style ahbaabi or "of Abha". They are discussed on Library...at ~

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=flower+tribe

These Abha weapons are very very similar to Al Wustah Omani Khanjars and I have to say that Omani Silver.com which is an excellent reference site ...thinks they are Omani whereas I do not. They consider the flower stamp to be from Oman and although I think they are linked historically since the main port in the Wustah region is Sur and it was a stepping stone Port to the Asir region and on the route to Zanzibar and back...which is probably how the style was exported and froze in that region and was thereafter produced there with minute changes to detail and inscriptions added etc...That is in my view how it happened but if I am wrong I will immediately consider altering my notes! but not for now.

Here are examples of the bulbous crown of Abha styles below~
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st November 2017 at 12:29 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote