View Single Post
Old 7th March 2019, 10:49 PM   #31
A. G. Maisey

David, regarding the two manuscripts mentioned by Basuki Yuwono, the Dharma Kepandean can be bought, by the look of things.

I'm going to try to chase it up next time I'm in Bali, in a few weeks time, but this link will take you to an online source:-

https://www.tokopedia.com/mbukubali/...?m_id=11966039

The other text, Rerajahan Keris, I really cannot find except related to Basuki, he apparently knows of it, maybe he even wrote it, a naskah does not need to be a old manuscript, just an original one. Maybe one day we'll be able to read it. I'll be in Solo too in a few weeks, so I'll ask around. If it does exist I feel I might be looking at another little primer, rather than an academic translation and examination of a lontar.

Incidentally, on the subject of lontars. These are inscriptions on strips of palm leaf. Because of their nature and the way in which they deteriorate in a tropical climate, they needed to be constantly re-transcribed to new palm leaves. The most recent version of the text of a lontar could well be a couple of hundred years old, but might have been transcribed a few times since it was originally written. Because different scribes transcribed the same original, and later versions, of lontars at different times, the most recent version of a lontar can show additions and alterations to the original. In short, what we find in the romanised translation of a lontar originally written in, say, the 14th century, might be somewhat different to the original.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote