View Single Post
Old 15th March 2017, 10:57 AM   #23
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I don't want to get in the way of your interesting discussion. It has long been my understanding that the "Malay sundang" was a variant of the Moro kris, a sort of back development from the historic origin of the kris from the keris. In handling a few older Malay sundang, which were consistent with pre-1900 manufacture, I was impressed by the feel that they had in hand which was different from the more substantial Moro kris. My sense was that these "Malay" versions were somewhat lighter and thinner in the blades, although their straight blades were quite wide. That suggested to me that at least the older ones were not imported from the Sulu Archipelago or Mindanao, but were made elsewhere. My assumption was that they were made in what is today Malaysia. I'm willing to accept that these could have been made, say, in Brunei or North Borneo, but I have no good reason to think that is where they were made.
Hello Ian and thank you for your comment. In light of past discussions found in various threads of this forum, I understand why you have such an impression. However, it seems that so far, the general understanding of the background of the sundang is based on mere assumptions. Even the age of these blades have not been established with accuracy.

I have shown a scholarly reference that points to the origin of the sword as the Mindanao and Borneo area. Other references whose authors I've mentioned also attribute it to the Moros. The word sundang itself is in the vocabulary of various languages in the Philippines but not in the Malay language. Malay dictionaries will prove this ("Pedang" for sword is the closest term). Soendang has been mentioned as a term for a sword in East Sumatra but without a description we cannot be certain if it is indeed the same as the so called malay sundang. It could be something else.

At present, I am inclined to conclude that "Malay Sundang" is a term used only by collectors to refer to a blade that resembles the Moro kris sundang and that the manufacture of the true Keris Sundang (not Malay Sundang) can be traced to the Mindanao, Sulu and Borneo area, as acknowledged in scholarly references.

It may be prudent to search for the actual name of the so called "Malay sundang" where ever the origin of its manufacture may be.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever considered the probability of Javanese, Sumatran, etc. empus emigrating to Sulu and manufacturing Keris Sundang in their own stylistic tradition there? Historical sources indicate that there were people from all over the world in Sulu at different points in time including Chinese sword smiths. If the Chinese could go there, why not Indonesians? What if these so called "Malay sundang" were also manufactured in Sulu but just in a different style and then traded? This can be the subject of further scholarly investigation.

[/QUOTE] As far as more modern versions being made in Moroland and exported to Malaysia for sale there, I guess that is possible but there is a good market in Manila which is a lot closer than KL.[/QUOTE]

My apologies if this was the impression ("modern versions") my words gave you but I was referring to antique Moro kris that were exported from the Philippines to Malaysia, as narrated to me by Mr. Ven. I am not aware of modern Moro kris being brought there. I have also not seen any in KL.

[/QUOTE] I would agree that the subject of this thread was probably made by a Malaysian keris-maker who thought he would make a sundang to sell to those who travel. What we ended up with is a relatively recently made kris/keris hybrid. At least that's how it looks to me. [/QUOTE]

I share the same view.

Regards,

F. de Luzon

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 15th March 2017 at 01:22 PM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote