View Single Post
Old 12th March 2017, 05:29 AM   #11
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Yes F., we have certainly encountered these on the forum on numerous occasions. If you do a search of the forums under "Malay Sundang" you will find many discussion threads on these.
Hi David,

My description is based on a few examples I saw being sold in souvenir and antique shops in Kuala Lumpur. I remember seeing one with a hilt and hilt cup that is almost identical to the example above. When I inquired, I was told they were “Malay sundang.” That’s the basis of my statement. I regret not taking photos but Ian's example shares some of the features.

Curiously, I have Noraim Shariff’s book on the handicrafts of Terengganu (a region of Malaysia with a keris tradition) where there is a section on the keris industry, but the term sundang is not mentioned nor does its image appear in the book.

I took some photographs of the sundang at the National Museum of Malaysia (Muzium Negara) as well as the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia, which I have attached below. The first one is from the Muzium Negara, the second its description, the third from the Islamic Arts Museum and the last the description.

In the museums, the terms sundang and Keris Suluk are used to refer to the Moro kris. There is no reference to a "peninsular" sundang (Malay Sundang?) in both museums.

I noticed the unusual hilts on the Moro kris from the Islamic Arts Museum. These are not common in the Philippines and they make them resemble the examples of “Malay sundang” in the discussion threads. Looking at the blades on the discussion threads, they really look more like re-hilted Moro krises, as mentioned by Kai.

Well known Manila antique dealer Ven Magbuhos personally told me that over the years, he has sent "crate loads" (his words) of Moro krises to Malaysia and that he doesn't know what has happened to them since. The probability that some of these blades have been re-hilted with a style in tune with Malaysian aesthetic sensibilities is probable.

Of course, the probability of Moro krises making their way from Mindanao across the Malay Archipelago onward to the Malay Peninsula throughout the centuries is also likely. James Warren provides an extensive discussion on the external trade of Sulu during the 19th century. Saleeby and Majul also indicate it. The work of Krieger also shows keris among the weapons used by Moros thus showing the exchange of commodities (including weapons) across the region. Edward Frey does not provide any examples of Malay sundang but mentions the use of the term as inappropriate when referring to the Moro kris. If I remember correctly, neither do A.H. Hill, G.C. Wooley and E. Banks trace the manufacture of the sundang to Peninsular Malaysia in their studies. Nonetheless, it seems to be a fact that such swords were present in the Malay Peninsula and just like in Mindanao, Sulu or Borneo, these swords would have required re-hilting eventually. This may explain the hilts that distinguish the so called Malay Sundang from the Moro kris.

The term Malay Sundang can thus refer to two different swords. It could refer to a Moro kris rehilted in the style of Malaysia or as A.G. Maisey pointed out, a product of a "long tradition of souvenir items."

Just sharing my thoughts and hopefully contributing to the discussion.

Regards,

F. de Luzon
Attached Images

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 12th March 2017 at 01:07 PM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote