View Single Post
Old 6th January 2010, 02:26 AM   #4
celtan

All I can add is that I remember once reading that the kid pilgrims of the Children's Crusade were offered transportation to Palestine by Genoese Shipmasters, then were instead taken to Turkey and sold as slaves for brothels.

Also, Genoans and Venetians had very close mercantile ties with the Ottomans, to the point that for the naval Battle of Lepanto, the Spanish placed heavy contingents of Marines within their ships, with explicit instructions to overpower them in case they switched sides or tried to leave the Battle. In fact, the genoese and venetians fought very well against the Turks.

My two cents.

Manuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallas
did the soldiers of the genoese/pisan/venetian republics have swords/armor/lances/ect that where unique from their neighbors? i havent been able to find much information on the weapons/armies or battle tactics of these three italian city-states between 950-1400 AD......

actually if anyone knows of any good monographs on the genoese republic and its posessions in the black sea/crimea (caffa) and the aegean and especially the republic's extensive slave trade, let me know!
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote