View Single Post
Old 18th April 2021, 08:09 PM   #33
Philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCanada42
also concerning the Jian bird and the sword I wanted to share this
Hi, Joe

Thanks much for sharing additional pics. The one in the scabbard, shown diagonally with a karabela pommel below, has features that point to it being a bona fide antique, probably late 19th to dawn of 20th cent. To be confirmed with an overall view and more details if you're interested in discussing it more. The one in the detail shots of blade décor appears to be post-1949, based on the style of inlays, and from what I can see of the guard. I saw brand-new swords with exactly the same workmanship and design for sale in China during a visit back in the late 1970s, and they were sold as martial arts equipment and not represented as antiques.

In the final analysis, if you see a sword for sale and it fits within the parameters of your interest in the subject (whether it be as a martial artist, or an interest in spirituality, or in historical objects as a record of art history and traditional technology), go ahead and enjoy! Individual preferences vary. No harm done, so long as you have an idea of what things are valued at, and are not the victim of a seller's deception.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote