View Single Post
Old 18th May 2017, 07:10 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO
Interesting piece, David. Should you decide to reverse the hilt, may I suggest you look for a best selut. The one on the kris seems a bad western imitation. I would also try to eliminate the black rust spots on the blade with lemon or pinapple juce, but this is my craze: I hate rust.
The hilt is a simplified version of the so-called "tapak kuda" style and seems really horn. The blade SEEMS too long to be called "anak alang". If it is 18" or more it should be called properly "panjang".
The scabbard tip is really unsightly (another bad imitation ?) but I have no idea how to fix this problem
Thanks for your response Gio.
Nope, definitely not long enough for a panjang. Sorry, i am back in the States right now so i can't give you specific measurements, but it is probably the slenderness of the blade that gives the impression that it is longer than the standard Anak Alang.
I'm not convinced that the pendokok is a Western imitation, but it is not a nice one by any means. Likewise i am certain the toe piece is indigenous, but it is certainly a lesser quality than the collar piece.I should have photographed the other side of it which would probably convince you to.
I'm glad you also think the hilt is horn. I am familiar with the "tapak kuda" style and have a nice example on my keris panjang. This one is indeed simpler, but i like it's toned down approach. But i haven't seen any quite like it yet in terms of the positioned motifs.
Working on the blade is an "of course" for me, but i did leave it up there so it will have to wait until July when i return. I attended to some surface rust and let it sit for a bit in WD40 between a few tooth-brushings. The black stuff is always stable (and at times not very removable) so i'm not worried about any further deterioration before i can work on it some more.
David is offline   Reply With Quote