View Single Post
Old 17th January 2014, 02:14 PM   #200
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
This thread rapidly went down an interesting path.

I would like to add to Jim's post with the fact that this thread is intended for not just kastane, but also all other Sri Lankan sword forms. I think there were narrow "cutlass" with "d-guards" that were more common in more recent times, and various ancient forms... but my knowledge of all this is very limited. And, it is my impression, correct me if I'm wrong, that especially in the latter days of the kastane, it was less of an actually widespread fighting weapon than a symbol of rank, authority, and status... and the quality of the blade declined... where-as other sword forms were more popular in the days that swords (and spear, bow, cudgel..) were widespread and popular weapons in Sri Lanka...

Salaams KuKulzA28 Yes it is an interesting path and I am very grateful you opened the door to it. I had been studying Kastane for quite some time previously and your opener seemed to me a reasonable opportunity to examine this weapon though as you quite rightly note there are other weapons worth looking at ... though again as you say we went off down the Kastane path twisting and turning.

In fact I noted in looking at Martial Arts weapons cutlass forms incorporating the Kastane style blade being used though it seems they came about post Portuguese. There are scores of weapons in the Ancient Martial Art format in Sri Lanka..Angampora.

I'm certain other weapons can be added like the Piha Keatta clearly of similar design structure and other swords and weapons ~ spears n' guns. Feel free since this is your thread ...Lets do it !

Thank you for your post.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 17th January 2014 at 02:45 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote