View Single Post
Old 14th January 2023, 04:33 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt View Post
Hello Jim

Since we are talking about films dedicated to Sherlock Holmes, it is necessary to recall the Russian version. There, in Watson's room, "oriental weapons" are also presented. But, if you look closely at the items that can be seen on the carpet, the idea comes that Watson not only participated in military operations in Afghanistan, but he also had a secret mission to the Caucasus
By the way, if you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it.

This series received positive reviews in England. Critics noted that the creators of the series carefully treated the original source, and the atmosphere of the works of Conan Doyle was conveyed with true love by true connoisseurs of the classics of the detective genre]. Margaret Thatcher spoke approvingly about the series. In 2006, Russian actor Vasily Livanov, who played the role of Sherlock Holmes, became a Commander of the Order of the British Empire, and Livanov was named one of the best actors who played Sherlock Holmes.

https://russianfilmhub.com/tvshows/t...and-dr-watson/

https://youtu.be/lg2zQreEVKI

Thank you so much!! This is wonderful, fantastic and brilliant! I had no idea of this Russian version of 'Sherlock Holmes', and the panoply of weapons on the wall there is outstanding. I see the extremely recurved Central Asian sword, the Russian military hanger with serrated back and of course the shashkas.

With the British situation in Afghanistan in the mid 1800s into the 20th c. it would not be the least bit surprising that there were connections to the Caucusus. As well related in Peter Hopkirks "The Great Game", these regions were a hotbed of intrigues that were far more complex and extended than just confined to Afghanistan.
I would say that is a fascinating interpretation, and I must check it out!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote