View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2011, 03:08 AM   #11
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
I have been studying this subject mostly thanks to current posts made by Battara and Kahnjar. But, I must also thank past contributors such a Michael Blalock, Lew and Steve. Whenever I search Jambias, most of the good hits take me back to our very own forum!

From what I have read, my jambiya is probably made of german silver. The pommel type is known as Meccan, representing the Black Stone, the blade is "watered"(whatever that means), and it may have been made in Yemen's Hadramout Wadi ,or in Saudi Asir. The Omani provenance is unlikely due to the absence of their characteristic scabbard's ring belt holder. The scabbard chape is small, unlike the thum characteristic of Jeda/Mecca.

I tried to clean the scabbard's greenish blue deposits with a toothbrush an detergent, to no avail. I'm worried that anything else may affect the leather. Suggestions?

BTW, what is the proper spelling: Jambiya, Jambiah, Jambiyah, Jambia? Kukri/Kuhkri/Kuhkuri, and Kahnjar, Kanjar/ Khanjar ..?

Best

Manuel
Your Jambiya is not a Meccan style hilt, but is variously described as from Jizan or Hadhramaut areas. The catalogue from the King Faisal Exhibition describes this type as ZABIDI and from the Hadramaut (which is the Southern /Southeastern area of Yemen which borders to Oman). A pic of 2 Meccan style Jambiya is herewith. You will note that the tips of the hilt are NOT pointed.
Don't get too wrapped up in the various spellings as they all mean the same thing and probably "Jambiya" is much like the term "Wahabite" used by collectors to describe certain styles. The term "Khanjar" is used in Oman to describe their daggers, rather than "Jambiya".
Hopefully STEVE will come in on this post, as he has huge knowledge of (particulaly) Yemeni daggers.
Regards Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote