View Single Post
Old 13th November 2005, 09:43 AM   #11
TVV

Miyamoto,
While I personally fail to see any similarity between the item in your possession and the Celtic swords from the book photo you have posted, I believe I have discovered a picture you and the other forumites may deem interesting. This photo has been taken in the Sofia shop of a Bulgarian antiques salesman, at least a few years ago (he does not keep a shop anymore). For his protection I have blackened his face. Now, take a close look at the item right next to his head that I have encircled in red. Other than the price tag on the hilt, to my eye at least it appears very similar to, if not identical to the item that started this thread.
I know that this does not tell anything more about the origin of this item from what we already know, but here are just a few thoughts, which you can feel free to disagree with. You say you have purchased yours several years ago, which coincides with the approximate time the photo I have attached to this message was taken (I know that for certain). It appears there were two identical mysterious ancient artefacts at about the same time both in Bulgaria and Slovenia. I myself have two possible explanations for that phenomenon: either one and the same dagger made its way from Sofia to Slovenia, or approximately several years ago somebody opened a small shop and produced God only knows how many of these ancient daggers. From my experience with forgers in my own country, I think the latter is more likely.
I hope to be proven conclusively wrong, as then these daggers will contribute to the archaeology of weapons on the whole Balkan peninsula, but in light of the evidence so far and my own experience and observations, I am afraid we have another case of mass-produced "ancient" weapons we have to watch out for.
Regards,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote