View Single Post
Old 21st October 2005, 11:26 PM   #6
Miyamoto

Hi and thanks for your opinions!

However, I'm avsolutely certain, that the dagger is at least 1000 years old. It looks antique manufacture and it evens smells like one. Also the color of the material used ( i think of a misture of bronze and iron not visibile on my poor photos) is verry antique looking. As I said I've bought it from a local "treasre hunter" (I live only 30 km away from Castorum at Frigidum) and beeing an aquitance of mine, I'll exclude that he lied to me. He even showed me the place where he exavated it.

Your points are verry clear and understandable.I can understand your thoughts, I also thought that my friend was trying to fool me around a little.
However you have to know that beeing verry unexperienced in the field, he had cleaned the dagger up extensively, immediately after he had found it. That would explain thoose file marks and no substantial pitting on the surface. Lower pitting is also atributed to the fact that in antique times the place where the dagger was found was wasteland. So if it were initially in burried the mood, not a lot of oxygen would be near the blade for a tousand of years. In the middle ages there were a mass population growth and they had dried up those terrain. In fact the dagger was found 1.5 meters deep underground in a strate of solid and compressed black terrain. I had a to say a big when I've took a look at that hole!

Another thing. If you take a look at the third (side view) photo, you'd see a a small piece wich was not touched, look right in between the two gold pieces attached. It is hardly to see it cos the photo is a little blurry but I can assure you that it is a 1.5mm strait of green patina.

I've aquired quite a lot of stuff, toghether with that dagger, all roman stuff (evena a wolf - Lupa Romana), but it was found more than 300 meter away from the site of that dagger, so I cannot atribuite for certain to the romans. There was a lot more more of that fibulas.

Ariel: It would be fine to see a found someday an skeleton of an ancient Slavic Staresina, haveing his bottle of beer quietly
Attached Images

Last edited by Miyamoto; 21st October 2005 at 11:40 PM.
Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote