View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2014, 09:57 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi
We should be able to discuss such historic topics freely in neutral and scientific way, without being blamed to celebrate cruelty to both animals and humans either in former or in present times. Everyone in our forum will be 100percently aware that the practice purposed by early fireworks authors will violates our present ethical standards and may also not comply to religious and ethical standards of the Middle Ages. So do I. I condemn the use of animals (and humans) for such (suicidal and assassin) practice and so far no written evidence from any historic chronicle are known to me that animals have really been used this way - but I want to be able to discuss it.
We can be proud that our ethical standards drastically developed since the 500 years when this images were published - and It's good this way!
Well understood and agreed Andi, we should indeed, however it is the nature of certain topics that the discussion often becomes distorted with emoted or distorted editorializing leading to unfortunate circumstances between participants. That being said, my comments were simply placed as my opinion concerning the subject matter as I had noted, and of course my option is to read it or not. This does seem in accord with what you have said. It is interesting, just in my perception distasteful.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote