Thread: Hunting Charm
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

Thanks Barry. The fact is this is mine and the topic here. Another being sold should have no bearing on my piece. Sadly I missed the delivery today so we still have the not good light picture. Colin asks a good question, reminding me of child asking why. The trouble with liking the odd stuff is that it can be hard to offer another cataloged example as definitive proof. Also just being a modest
collector and anthropology enthusiast, I am not qualified to make statements that set opinions in a hard state. However this piece does allow me the opportunity to quote that wonderful adage,

if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, looks like a duck, then it probably is a duck

but seriously the Solomon Islands art is Dolphin, Frigate Bird and Tuna imagery.

The hunts are recorded culture, ritual and magic is there. Here is a very interesting link which takes trouble to highlight that not much is really known about magic involving sea mammal ritual and magic. I do want to stray to far from hunting and hunting weapons and end up a Solomon Islands art discussion.

http://tepapa.govt.nz/SiteCollection...rticle%205.pdf
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote