View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:21 PM   #6
xerg

Thanks to both of you for your fast replies! It's so nice to have access to a knowledgeable and responsive community.

I think that what the old man was telling me was that it was a "Goran" dagger, which would dovetail nicely with the Tebu theory since the Tebu are an offshoot of the Goran. Of course, they could very well be have been made by a local Fulani tribe influenced by neighboring Tebu or Goran peoples. The mythology the desert nomad Tebus have surrounding their weapons is certainly cooler, apparently once the steel has been unsheathed it must taste blood before being put away or great harm will befall its owner. If I were an art market guy, that's totally the line I'd be feeding to the foreigner interested in my wares, not that it belonged to some random Fulani heardsman. One can never know for sure!

After another trip to the art market today I've acquired a few more for around the same price. I've heard "Toubou" [French for Tebu] a lot today which indicates that that's probably what they are. I also found some with the blade that tapers at the midpoint, such as the first example. I just wish there was some way to get these art market guys to -honestly- tell me how old the pieces are! They bear signs of obvious wear, but I can't extract any straight answers as to exactly how old. Oh well, I still really like them.

Here are some random things of interest regarding the knives:

I was told that the characteristic three rectangular attachments were for storing pins. When asked what the pins were used for, I got an array of replies ranging from toothpicks to poisoned darts. The latter seems cooler. Knives without the three rectangles are generally said to be home use implements rather than weapons.

It's pretty rare to find them with the armband still attached.

All of the blades are extremely live unless they're too rusted. You could easily cut yourself if you're not careful! Many are in very decent condition.

The pommel is apparently used as a bludgeoning weapon or as an ad hoc hammer for repairs or breaking open coconuts, etc.

The hilt is rounded by wrapping leather over cloth. A few examples I have are missing pieces of the leather. In the exposed parts, you can see the faded West African style batik cloth sticking out. Luckily I'm fairly up on the local fashion and the stuff underneath is totally out of date!

That's about the extent of what I learned.
xerg is offline   Reply With Quote