View Single Post
Old 4th June 2018, 06:21 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. de Luzon
You're welcome Ian. I found it interesting that each blade is distinct from the others. Although they appear the same, they are different in weight and balance. Some are light and flimsy, others are bulky and heavy. The variations in blade shape, thickness and grind account for this. The hilt size and weight is also not consistent. Each knife thus has its own personality and one has to find the one that feels right in the hand or one that suits one's specific needs.

These examples do not compare to antique Ilocano knives that I've handled. In general they are still well made but these are unrefined. The attention to detail is not the same. The bolsters are not as nice and the carving in the handles are very rough. I've seen older examples of the Santa pommel that are well detailed. Where human features are carefully carved unlike the examples shown here. I'll try to post pictures of those better examples. Anyway, I guess these are not made to impress aesthetically. They are everyday working tools that are meant to last but not to be displayed. They may not be refined but they will certainly get the job done. Nonetheless, I wish that the traditional quality was retained. Like I said, these new ones do not compare to the antiques.
Thanks again for your comments F. de L. The depiction of Antonio Luna on these hilts is a tradition that seems to have been around since before WWII. Luna was an interesting man and there are a number of online sources detailing his history. I agree that many of the depictions here are cruder than on older, better quality examples.

I think the "individuality" of Filipino knives is common--no two being exactly alike unless machine made--and the need to find the right "fit" for a buyer is important. I have a friend in Negros who must have examined 50 different bolos of similar design before deciding on the right one for him to cut brush in his yard. Since he planned to do a lot of chopping with it over a long time he wanted one that would last and feel right.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 4th June 2018 at 10:08 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote