View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:03 AM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I agree with Stu's note observing the baldric type suspension rings on one of the brass scabbards, suggesting of course, Maghreb potential in degree. The inscriptions and overall character and quality very nice!
In post #6, note the Albacete type piercing in the blade, and seeming assortment of influences in overall components, possibly Spanish colonies in Morocco? and this seems to have good age to it.

Basically many ethnographic forms of more modern (latter 19th c, onward into 20th) knives reflect influences from various places across North Africa and into Middle East in curiously contrived hybrids. While typically quite attractive they well illustrate the futility of trying to classify these regionally as a rule.

In classifying these kinds of weapons, it is usually best to describe them as accurately as possible while adding qualifying influences which might add to origin. When the classification 'tourist' is reluctantly considered in some items, the diffusion of these through commercial channels is difficult to imagine in scope.
Salaams Jim, This is quite interesting since there appear to be an amalgamation of designs here... Peculiar hilt for a Sibiki or Dharia ... The stones are agate...The inscription(which is upside down) makes no sense.... Istlag benzert.

Initially the pendulum swung through Saudia to Kurdish for good reason ...even looking at Syrian etc etc but finally I found a picture of an African style ....chasing the design idea of the dots inside the circles on the hilt...at http://collectiblefirearms.com/Pictures/dag_0081-08.JPG

I think that takes us closer..

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 22nd July 2015 at 10:52 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote