View Single Post
Old 6th August 2011, 02:37 AM   #8
A.alnakkas

"Things, however, might not be that simple...For example, in my recent post on Afghani pulowars, AJ1356 mentioned that the local call them just Shamshirs. Well, that may be the correct name and early Europeans might have been fooled. On the other hand, they might have preserved the early name ( Pulowar) and the current one ( Shamshir) is just a generic simplification by the locals not exposed to these weapons for more than a century."

That is a possible outcome. Personally I do not know the language there, but when it comes to arabic, I use deduction and research (Yes, I actually do research the terms such as nimcha or koummya etc) but an afghan or someone fimiliar with the language there can be the key to the answer. Does the word Pulwar makes sense to an afghani? is it derived from a mispelled/combination of certain words in afghanistan? Do the old people understand it? keep in mind, that the old people in the middle east may have lived in the time when swords were still in use.

Perhaps AJ can help out here.

Now to my view on external sources; I personally think that those who have worked on this field have done a phenomenal job in perserving a part of a culture which they have nothing to do with. Yes, the work is not flawless, but I think its flaws can be reduced alot by enthusiatic natives such as myself (or I am just a hopeful person :-P)

"By all means, correct the errors and supply the original information!
As to the idea of developing a site, being an old-fashioned " reader", I would like your effort to culminate in a published book. Something to hold, leaf through, underline, curl in bed with :-)
Seriously, write a book! As I said before, sign me up for an early order :-)"

It would be extremely arrogant of me to write a book. I am still a student, but my ability with the arabic language is enough to tell the difference between a foreign word and a native word. The foreign word could be used by arabs btw, but asking such questions (my case with the word Nimcha) can even add an insight to the history of the weapon.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote