Thread: Odd Sword
View Single Post
Old 4th August 2015, 09:45 PM   #78
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Ibrahiim noted, "On a technicality it could go to the European [Forum] as European/Latin translations inscribed on swords etc but for sure it is a very important subject for these pages. On the other hand it may fit into the broader aspects of Jims famous thread on Sword Blade Marks at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...ght=blade+marks

I think both fora would be interested. Perhaps a joint posting (if that is possible). East meets West, or vice versa.

Ibrahiim, you and Fernando should decide where you want to start the new thread. Fernando has the necessary superpowers to move things around if necessary.

Ian.
Thanks Ian, If I may be a little clearer ...

1. Swords with Latin inscriptions, though there are some which occur on Indian Swords imported from Europe and a classic is at the Wallace as an example and I am sure there will be others around the globe; it is still unusual to find blades in the East with Latin inscriptions particularly in Arabia.( Naturally there will be those swords in the far east that arrived with the voyages of discovery etc but as for Arabia I do not count the odd one or two said to have Andrea Ferrera marks or copied Passau Wolf...etc and it would be quite wrong to attribute the swords shown at thread as being of original and honest construction..

The fact is that swords in Arabia generally have Arabic or Persian or Turkish inscriptions if they are inscribed or a particular mark moon or an incantation to God . The equation East meets West is difficult to engineer. (Trade blades, I believe, are best dealt with separately.)

On the subject of Talisman marks it is even more unlikely (I would say impossible ) as the religious or pre religious markers are so differently based. I think this subject also is in itself divided....since it evolved separately in the East and West....even though vague connections may exist the vast majority of such Talisman concepts are unrelated across the East West divide.
2. There are documents on western calligraphy, short bible forms of script, secret inscriptions, runes, Gothic, Latin, Viking, (The Ulberft sword etc) which make for a study in their own right .. and most are very high level examinations. (Before anyone writes in to complain I am aware that we have a number of members who have the required scientific know how to take on these complex papers but I speak generally!)

Whilst I always advise students to get stuck into these references, I have to admit some are quite heavy going but by all means forum ought to have a go...noting that large portions of the material conclude that much of the Viking/Latin /Germanic inscriptions on blades are undecipherable and some marks were actually secret and known only to the owner of the Sword.

I would hate to advise anyone to study something which is in fact pulverisingly difficult even for a rocket scientist to handle. It is, however, really interesting to see these amazing notes and details as reported on by Fernando and I believe the examination as it stands is a great step forward for Forum ..and library is a better informed place.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote