View Single Post
Old 27th September 2005, 08:35 PM   #20
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
One could argue that as we no longer, as a whole carry knives and swords for everyday use and yet there is still a desire to make and own them, renders them as art objects. However they would still belong to the realm of decorative arts much in the same way a small bronze sculpture or silver candle stick in a museum or a palace would be, no matter how beautifully designed and finished. I to prefer the art of, rather than the craftsmanship, but there is another barrier, I think some craft is art even though unlike ART more than one is made. I forgot to mention that I am talking about contemporary work. Tim
Here's my take on it Tim , all art is decorative . Whether you hang a painting on a wall or carry a $5,000.00 gem encrusted damascus folder .

I personally have trouble seperating art from craft . I have a contemporary Windsor Bow Back chair at home that was made entirely by hand without the use of power tools ; the lines and construction are flawless . I consider it functional art .

Was Stradivarius a craftsman or an artist ? I maintain that he was an artist .

I have a friend who is a Luthier himself ; he brought a newly made violin to show me ; he played it and tears welled up in my eyes upon hearing its beautiful voice . The man is a craftsman yes , but he is also an artist .

Now in my opinion swords are visceral things ; some beautifully crafted and works of art in themselves and worthy of being on display as functional pieces of art . In the end though the sword is made for one thing , violence ; regarding Antonio's reference to an ashtray being able to kill someone , indeed yes but that is not its primary function .

I see many swords as functional art ; the question is can the rest of society view them the same way ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote