View Single Post
Old 25th September 2005, 06:47 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree wholeheartedly with what has been said about the corelation between edged weapons and art, which is key to the study of ethnographic edged weapons.
It has been noted that,
"...rather than being mere accessories, weapons are in fact themselves artistic creations that reflect larger stylistic tendancies of a period".
- "Harnischstudien" (Studies in Armour), in "Jahrbuch des Kunsthistorichen Museums in Wien", B.Thomas & O. Gamber

I think that one of the best studies I have seen that reflects such importance in the study of ethnographic edged weapons is Robert Elgood's new book "Hindu Arms and Ritual" . This book describes religious symbolism and metaphor imbued in these weapons which often parallel similar artistic motifs seen in other aspects of the material culture of India. While this reference offers at last a perspective on this view focusing on the weapons, too often other studies in art and material culture chose to ignore or only give cursory attention to weapons and focus on other avenues.

I think that the beautiful weapons that have been brought to our attention by Antonio represent excellent examples of traditions, themes and heritage from various cultures that have been wonderfully incorporated into such works of art. In this sense they are very much the same as the antique weapons they often represent, which were in so many cases made as presentation or ceremonial pieces for dignitaries or influential figures.

Thank you again Antonio for your elegant postings!

Very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote