Lead Moderator European Armoury

Posted by:
Matchlock
(deceased)

the center of 15th and 16th
century gunmaking

Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Outstanding entries guys!
The cross and orb are more associated with Solingen makers, while the multibar crosses (often termed anchors) are typically associated with Spanish blades.
I cannot resist noting again Michael, that your photographs and illustrations are a pure treasure trove!! and I am ever grateful for your gracious sharing of them.
All the very best,
Jim (Quote)

Hi Jim,
Thank you so much once more! I feel more than rewarded by the feedback that my comprehensive archives can sometimes be of some use to some people.
As to the cross and orb mark, from all what I have gathered on early blades, it was mostly used in the South German and Austrian areas throughout the 16th c, mostly in the first half. Thus it is often found on Pasau and Munich blades, and it was also struck on a fine Messer, ca. 1500-20, from the Princely Collections of Liechtenstein, Schloss Vadz, that once was in my collection; photos attached.

For more on this fine specimen, plesse see

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...0&page=12&pp=30,

posts # 360 and 361.

Interesting enough I have never noticed a cross and orb mark on any barrel or lock so it seems definitely to have been confined to blades.

Best,
Michael

(missing attachments)

Last edited by fernando; 21st October 2017 at 06:24 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote