View Single Post
Old 12th November 2009, 08:38 PM   #7
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
The ballock dagger looks fantastic, indeed. The blade is peculiar but not unheard of in this type of weapons.

Now the other dagger... well, it's just my opinion, but it suspiciously looks like a put-together with what could be a genuine medieval pommel, a cross-guard about which I couldn't pass a reliable judgement without examining it more closely, and a blade that looks like a cut-down blade from a 18th c. smallsword, down to the style of inlaid decoration... maybe it's just me...
Hi Marc,

thank you for the compliment for the ballock.

RE: the quillon dagger I think it is just you
Don't let the condition fool you, it is also 100% genuine. the authenticity has been confirmed by the curator of the Dutch army museum.
This is how it is found in the the river Rijn. (only the robe grip is added)

it is not a genuine pommel but a medieval dagger wheel-pommel 3cmx2,5cm
I also found the same type of small dagger wheel-pommel offered at an arms dealer and more convincing a similar dagger is published in Francis laking part 3.
This type of blade of hollow triangular section can be found on the majority of the same period rondel daggers.(around 1400)

I will post some pictures in order to explain.

see picture Francis Laking part 3 page 3 guillon dagger fig 728 , this dagger from the guildhall museum has the same pommel and same guillons however a longer grip and a diamond shaped blade.

The construction of the guillon; the way the blade fits into the guillon is a feature of medieval swords. On later 15thC examples the shoulder of the blade rests on the guillons.

Best regards
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 12th November 2009 at 09:34 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote