View Single Post
Old 9th August 2018, 02:20 AM   #17
Cathey

Default Non Articulated Lobster Tail Helmet

Hi guys
I think the helmet was originally black japanned which having worn does make the helmet appear to be in worse condition than it actually is, however it has certainly seen its share of work.

I would suggest that this we call munitions quality, definitely the less expensive version or trooper cavalry helmet.

I have three others but the difference in quality is very obvious, all having fully articulated lanes and even the three bar in my collection is articulated which often denotes officer quality.

I have actually now purchased this helmet from my friend as I quiet like the strong contrast it represents to the others I have. Also the ear pieces are different as well. I have attached the pictures Vitrix sent as a comparison.
The first one was described as A rare antique mid 17th century Cromwellian Cavalry troopers Lobster tail helmet Zischagge. Details: The scull is made of two pieces with overlapping riveted joints. The peak is with folded edges, incorporating a nasal bar, adjustable by means of a large thumb screw to the front. The cheek pieces are with ventilation holes and the neck guard is stamped from a single piece of metal to simulate an articulated version. The edges, retaining rivets, were originally used to secure the lining. A black lacquered finish overall, in very good condition for its age. Provenance: The previous owner acquired the helmet many years ago from Andrew Bottomley. Catalogue No.7 Page 123 item number 744

The second example is described as Two-piece riveted skull with high crown; one piece neck guard with 4 simulated lames; perforated ear guards. Fixed visor is stamped with a cross and orb mark; sliding nasal bar with stamped "N" and heart-shaped thumb screw to hold it in position. Heavier than most of the German or English zischagge helms. Very good condition with sound leather. This one appears to have had the black japaning removed.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
Attached Images

Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote