View Single Post
Old 4th April 2019, 02:29 PM   #1
josh stout

Default Chinese or Korean dao

This is an ornate cloisonne dao that at first glance looks like a mediocre Chinese copy of a Japanese sword, made for show.

Close inspection of the blade shows what looks like an inserted edge and a typical uninspiring quality fuller. However, there are several details that make me wonder if it is something more rare.

The blade has a much stronger diamond cross section than is typical. The handle turns up in the same direction as the tip instead of down. The tang is not peened.

All of these could be attributed to an attempt to copy Japanese styles, but then why not make the tip faceted?

Another possibility is that it is Korean. They are so rare, that this must be examined very skeptically. Nevertheless, it would fit the combination of seeming Chinese and Japanese characteristics. The blade shape with a strong diamond section but no faceting fits. The handle construction is also similar to Korean things.

The most convincing evidence is the suspension loops. They are in a style that I don't recall seeing on Chinese examples, and but do appear on Korean examples. There is an example of a gum in the "History of Steel" exhibition catalog, with similar fittings.

Let me know how badly I should kick myself for "the one that got away."
Attached Images

Last edited by josh stout; 5th April 2019 at 02:09 AM. Reason: I removed my hope that another forumite has the sword ;)
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote