View Single Post
Old 6th April 2019, 03:52 AM   #17
Edster

Ibrahiim,

Well argued piece. Unfortunately, I wrote the comments on the Mandin scabbard before we benefited from this thread's discussion. I didn't consider the design important to the essay's cross-guard context except that it had similar design to the kaskara's. Also, I didn't see Pitt-Rivers' comments and have seen no other firm attribution to croc. head symbolism. We must be cautious of academic speculations. Maybe someone should write a paper on African sword scabbards.

It's late here now and I won't take time to dig up specific references, but I'll try to make some relevant comments.

State Islam came to Mali/West Africa much earlier than than the Nile Valley. Massa Musa made his pilgrimage in 13 Something, but state Islam didn't come to the Funj Kingdom until after 1500. Of course, Muslim Arab tribes entered upper Egypt from c.900 and merged with the Beja, but the Christian Kingdoms of the Nile survived until the coming of the Funj and their influence lasted much longer. From early times Arab traders had their own quarters in market towns and were allowed to practice their religion., but did not try to convert locals.

I don't know when imported swords and German sword blades became the Kaskara as we know it, probably sometime in say mid-1800s, but swords were weapons of early Muslims likely from the beginning of their arrival as they were weapons of the early Arab armies. The northern Beja gave up spears for swords around 1750 while the southern Beja kept their spears. They were never devout Muslims even during Mahdist times.

Travelers reports say that elites used sabers and silver mounted swords as symbols of authority, but I think that Burkhart says that Funj bodyguards/elite cavalry used swords as part of their armament.

The only reports I know (EAA threads) say that some Thuluth swords had flimsy blades, but other examples do not. I doubt that they were used as battle swords.

Mading scabbards have more elaborate designs and even high end kaskara scabbards are richer than the run of the mill kaskara. BTW, leather workers are much lower on the social ladder than than blacksmiths who are themselves lower than silver & goldsmiths. I think I read that leather work from Bergami was superior.

My Beja/Hadendawa informants at the Kassala blacksmith/sword suq said (1984) that Osmond Digna asked them to make weapons for the Mahdi's army. Included was an array of knives, a short sword called the Ansar plus the kaskara as we know it.

I'm now convinced that there was much cultural transfer between Mading and Funj/Nile Valley. The 40 Day caravan route from Dongala/Nubia to Darfur was active from Dynastic times, but it was mostly a waterless trek from Sennar across Kordofan to Darfur. Sennar traded north up the Nile to Cairo or to Suakin and similar ports on the Red Sea. Of course Arab merchants went from Darfur to Kano and points west, but there was more Christian cultural practices (mark of the Cross at weddings and births, etc.) 300 years after the fall of the Nile Christian kingdoms. Craftsmen traveled back and forth along the Sahel routes. Likely Berghami leather workers traveled to Darfur and set up a scabbard shop. Maybe they worked with a leather worker from the Funj area, compared notes and went into business together. This is just speculation, and I'm no academic.

Best regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote