View Single Post
Old 13th December 2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks for answering Dom and Emanuel, and for the info.
In checking through some photos of flyssa hilts, and noticed that the triangular geometrics (as in the 'fibula' linear on the blade) are sometimes in the hourglass shape on the hilt in places.
As I recall, the shape of the figure on the example I refer to, was much more 'dimensional' and seemed to have lines through it or over it, resembling those on these hourglass shape pressure drums.

The vast distances through these desert regions are indeed formidable, and it is always amazing to look at the incredible trade networks that crisscross these regions. These are of course key in trying to follow some of the many weapon diffusions that present the complexities in understanding African arms. Naturally, rather than single trans Saharan journeys, the networking between various centers and interactions there, with materials and traded wares then following various routes resulted in these carried far and wide.

Factor in the nonspecific and ever changing boundaries of nomadic tribes, as well as interaction along these routes including raiding and more hospitable contact, the equation compounds dramatically

Dom, I never underestimate your very astute 'points of view'!!! and I am hoping that something similar with show up with the outstanding and comprehensive collections I know are out there with the Africa enthusiasts.

Emanuel, I always recall your keen interest in flyssas, and hoped you would come in on this.

Thanks so much guys!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote