View Single Post
Old 21st March 2017, 10:14 PM   #17
A. G. Maisey

Everything that Lee has written, I endorse 100%.

Several years ago, a lifelong friend of mine, who was a very serious collector of Eastern edged weapons, received his promotion to a higher realm. He had always told me in conversation that he intended his collection to be sold back into the market after his promotion --- in his words:- "for the benefit of my fellow collectors" --- and that he had entrusted this task to his heirs. He had prepared a record of:- year purchased, amount paid, description, together with a photo of each piece.

Now, several years later, that very large collection is packed into cardboard boxes in the under-floor space of his heir's home. To the best of my knowledge no attempt has been made to put this collection into the market, and the heirs themselves have nil interest in this "junk". When it finally does hit the market --- if ever --- it truly will be junk.

Another good friend, who has had a long and close association with the world of the keris has bequeathed not only his collection, but as far as I am aware, virtually all his other assets to a USA university. The keris & etc to the museum, the other assets, I guess, to the institution itself.

A third case of "collection disposal" of an acquaintance is for me, very sad. I had a customer who had discovered keris late in life, he quickly developed an intense interest, and he credited this interest with helping him to overcome repeated bouts of depression. He left instructions in his will that the collection be given to his old university. His heirs attempted to do this, but the university would not accept it unless it was accompanied by a massive donation of funds or assets to cover cost of keeping the collection. I do not know what eventually happened to this collection, and about 50% of it was very good, the balance just middle-of-the-market.

But one case in which I was involved is to my mind the ideal solution. At age 12 my grandfather gave me his collection of weapons, most of which were collected in place of origin between 1918 and about 1922.

The cases above, as well as a number of similar cases of which I am aware, and that involve the winding up of an estate, have convinced me that when I do move on, as little as possible of the things I have accumulated during my life should be left for others to get rid of. I've been working on this in a gradual manner for about the last 20 years.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote