View Single Post
Old 25th February 2016, 02:52 AM   #27
cpkaway2

Default Khanjar/Jambiya from the Asir?

Hello fellow members,

I obtained this jambiya/khanjar in Vancouver more than 10 years ago. On my recent trip to Gulf States and Oman I hoped to learn more about it and confir that it was Omani. Also I hoped to obtain an older belt for it. Unfortunately my tablet computer ceased to work so I could not show photos of it to anyone. I did manage to find similar 7-ring knives in the Nizwa souq which the vendors identified as Al Saidi (Sa´idiyyah).

After reading this interesting thread it seems most likely that it is from the Asir region rather than Oman. Adding credence to this is the emblem on the back of the hilt. It is very similar to the Saudi coat of arms: crossed swords below a palm tree. The coat of arms was adopted in 1950, which would indicate the knife was not made before that date. I do not know, however, if the coat of arms was designed in 1950 or if it were a symbol in use before then and officially adopted only in 1950. Anyone know?

I would be interested in your thoughts about this jambiya/khanjar, including whether the hilt is bone or wood, and if the writing on the chape is decipherable.

Regards
Chris
Attached Images

cpkaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote