Thread: Persian sword?
View Single Post
Old 1st February 2014, 05:37 AM   #26
ariel

It is difficult to be certain without handling the sword, but...
The blade appears to be well made, heavy, and carrying some signs of wear and tear ( even pitting). Hara Morin, what is the quality of steel?
The thin lateral fullers are hand made, cut out somewhat unevenly. The inscriptions and cartouches are hand carved, not cheaply etched.
The distal fullering is reminiscent of some Persian blades : see, for example, Figiel's catalogue, #2033, as well as its Amuzgi ( not Atagi, as mentioned earlier, sorry, I was inattentive) imitation from the Astvatsaturyan's book on caucasian weapons.The tip is reminiscent of the Indo-Persian Gaddara ( see Pant) as well as the above-mentioned Figiel's sword. The language of the inscription is uncertain, thus we cannot presently call it "nonsensical". Perhaps it is, but don't we need stronger data before passing a verdict?

The number of cartouches and other symbols seems to be unusual, but there are plenty unusual swords from the region. Moreover, there are old Indian/Persian swords with more than "traditional two" symbols/cartouches.

With all due respect for Artzi's opinion, I cannot see much similarity between the damascus pattern here and the routine, mass-produced " bird's eye" on the contemporary Indian fakes.

A colleague from a Russian forum claimed that he saw an almost identical one bought by his friend in S. Pakistan without even a slightest pretense on the part of the seller to call it antique. If true ( and I would love to see it) it would be a very strong argument. Had anybody here saw its twins?

I am not rooting for this sword, and opinions of many members here are largely in favor of its recent production. So be it, if it is true. But if it is a fake, it is one of the most labor-intense fakes I have seen.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote