Thread: Moro shield
View Single Post
Old 16th October 2006, 05:41 PM   #24
Nick Wardigo

I'm of the opinion that this shield is likely Chinese. I've seen maybe a dozen Chinese shields over the years, and this one fits the general size, shape, composition, and weaving. The handles are a little odd, but it isn't anything that sends up a red flag to me.

Having said that, Ben is correct, the Barbier-Mueller book does identify a similar shield as Vietnamese. Also, a line drawing of a very similar shield shows up in Huard and Durand's book, VIET NAM CIVILIZATION AND CULTURE (the English translation of, CONNAISSANCE DU VIETNAM). That the Vietnamese and Chinese use similar (or identical) rattan shields is hardly surprising. The materials are readily available in that part of the world, and the resulting product is light and able to withstand a sword blow. Shields are not my area of expertise, but I would guess that, without specific provenance, it is impossible to tell the difference between Chinese and Vietnamese rattan shields (unless the shield is painted with the telltale tiger face, which is a Chinese affectation). All things being equal, I would say Chinese is the best guess because, statistically, I would expect more of these shields to be made in China.

Having said all that, I am not discounting the possibility of a Moro origin. Again, rattan is rattan, and any culture capable of making a rattan basket is certainly capable of making a rattan shield. The problem is, I have never seen a rattan shield attributed to any of the Moro peoples. The only Moro shields I've seen have been the round, wooden ones of various sizes.

Bill, do you have any photographic evidence that the Moros used rattan shields? Or, possibly, cite a written example? I have a passing curiousity about these things, and I'd appreciate any information you can provide.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick Wardigo is offline   Reply With Quote