View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2009, 05:16 AM   #4
roanoa

Let me say that I absolutely LOVE this sword. The hilt in mine is in a little better shape, but the blade is identical. I find that it has a superb balance and that the blade is a bit heavier than the similar Wilkinson gurade's. The reason that I think it may be French is that the decorations are SOOOO 3rd Empire Neo-Classical. A variety of antique (Greek/Roman) and Medioeval weapons are shown arranged in panoplies: swords, helmets, armour, shields and spears, banners and drums!!!! It is all so French.... But I may be wrong.... France was, of course, a great supporter of Menelik II and supplied him with large quantities of weapons, including swords. I have two more swords with a very faint Paris address, too faint to photograph. However, the decoration in one of the two illustrates clearly the French "taste". Though not as well executed, it nevertheless bears some similarities. I am, by the way, surprised by the lack of response to this post. Surely there MUST be some members who can give an input?
Attached Images

roanoa is offline   Reply With Quote