View Single Post
Old 24th December 2011, 10:59 AM   #18
Iain

I am afraid I have to keep this to a short note due to the holidays and a wife who really would rather I was decorating the tree right now!

Lee,

Thank you for posting these additional marks. I think it is important to be able to say the cross, with terminals (albeit not forked) was being used encircled by the 14th century. This goes a long way to supporting to inclination to an earlier dating I think. Truly fantastic that you have these Medieval pieces in your hands, I am absolutely delighted and honored you have taken this degree of interested in my sword.

Wolf,

Thank you! I will attempt to contact both museums in the new year. I will be very interested in how these blades look....

Jim,

As always, very helpful in getting oriented about the how's and why's of Medieval marks. I am enjoying the discussion and references intensely. I think you and Lee are making a better and better case for this blade being the early example you think it is.

Just a few notes to clarify and help out future avenues of inquiry. On my blade both marks are found on both sides of the blade in the same positions. So absolutely duplicated.

Obviously the next step is to track down these two German swords and any others bearing similar crosses. Also, I just wanted to make clear I know the danger of only judging by photographs, if I have the chance to come to Baltimore this year, I will make every effort to bring this sword along so Lee can have a hands on examination.

All the best,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote