View Single Post
Old 18th September 2010, 09:15 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Chris,
I know what ya mean!!! The library here in the bookmobile is paltry compared to the old days in the house where I had a study!!! and memory...what?
I think it was in Elgood where the British banned production of wootz in the Deccan to stop deforestation? Environmental? or to eliminate competition for thier growing industry.

Very good points Bhushan, and the advent of firearms became prevalent issue in nearly all colonial environments whether Africa, the Americas, Asia et al. I believe that the swords that were destroyed after the mutiny period were in Malabar regions where the Moplah knives and Ayda Khatti's were destroyed. By the 1870s and 80s when the British dismantled some of the armouries there were thousands of swords and weapons in huge rusting heaps such as at Tanjore most notably.

I agree that the Mutiny was truly a benchmark in the texture of India, and there was certainly a decline in craftsmanship, but I believe in degree the kingdoms and principalities that were diplomatically stable within the Raj still had key artisans. I think some of the catalogs of workmanship that displayed items with amazing work were from many of these regions were compiled by writers like Egerton (1880) and Hendley (I believe 1903) as examples.

I'm just glad that many of these fabulous weapons have been preserved, and that there are still those out there continuing important studies in thier development and history.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote