View Single Post
Old 9th April 2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Very nice piece, but I disagree about its attribution. This is a typical Georgian Khmali, saber, in Persian style. Khevsurian sabers ( palashes) are cruder, their handles are different and brass bands are the must.
Ariel, thanks for coming in. If anyone would know, I knew you would, thank you for clearing that up.

So it is the dress the sword is in more than the sword itself that denoted this Khmali attribution Ariel?

I ask, as an example, a recent auction had both described within its catalogue. Swords labeled as Khmali that shared by large degree many similar attributes with the hilts of Khevsurian swords. In the same auction a Khevsurian Palashe shared the same but cruder motifs on the guard and suspension fittings as this example does...in simple terms, not clear cut to myself.

What should be considered when delving in to this world and seperation of the two labels, or more so identifying the Khmali attribution.

You note 'typical' too Ariel, I know it is in reference to styling but how typical are these sabres? I know I do not see swords like the one above very often at all and untouched as found examples even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
There is, indeed, a proliferation of Khevsurian swords on the market, many not fakes, but actually homages, and are honestly signed by the contemporary master, Mr. Kharanauli.
Thank you for clearing this up Ariel, I guess it is up to the seller to then pass this information on that I suspect they don't know as too many seem to be refered to as 19th century

Last edited by freebooter; 9th April 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote