View Single Post
Old 7th May 2016, 05:00 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Cathey,
Thank you for the added look at the anchor, which is heavier and more blockish than Spanish examples used in 16th to early 17th c. While some authorities on Spanish swords consider the 'anchor' a Solingen convention, the rapier with blade from the prominent Alonso Perez with his distinctive anchor at the fuller terminals was found on the 'Atocha' wreck.
The Atocha went down in the Florida Keys in 1622.
Perez worked 1570s to c. 1625.

The association with the inscribed Latin words to Malta and the mention of Sicilian rule really do not, in my opinion, suggest this to be an Italian blade. Actually I am not aware of blades made in Sicily, but it is sometimes confusing as Sicily was typically ruled along with predominant states on the Italian mainland.
As Jasper has noted, The Knights of St. John (I believe also known as the Knights of Malta), ruled Malta. The Knights of St John interestingly were also well situated in Solingen.
That puts this blade nicely in place with this term, and the building of this tower in 1661 seems in period with these blades.

The neoclassic hilt of mid to later 18th century reminds me of French forms I have seen, and it is to wonder if perhaps this was a heirloom blade with connections to someone well connected in these orders.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote