View Single Post
Old 18th August 2014, 08:41 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Nigel,
While I was hoping more discussion would ensue here, it seems that more detail to exceed your already superbly detailed research is unlikely. We have already established the cypher is that of Nicholas I, who reigned from December of 1825 until 1855.
I did find that under his reign the degree of French influence in arms continued, and we know that many weapons captured during the Napoleonic campaigns were copied by Russian makers.
("Russian Military Swords 1801-1917", Eugene Mollo, 1969, p.22)

While this 'court sword', which essentially follows the designs used in various couteaux de chasse, or hunting swords in general, not necessarily French alone, it does seem possible parallels in design might be found among French forms. In checking through "Catalog of European Court and Hunting Swords", Bashford Dean, 1928) did not reveal any distinct matches other than occasional similarity in features such as extended shellguards etc.

I would point out that the court sword term is employed loosely in describing various smallswords and hunting swords, as these were accoutrements of fashion worn by gentry as well as court associated officials and constituents. The military element is often factored in as these individuals were often of course in the military as well.

It is a beautiful example and I wish I could offer more conclusive detail.

Best regards,
Jim

PS, again, thank you for the excellent detail and photos!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote