Thread: Omani Khanjar
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel.modes
Hello everyone,

I just got access to the forum and I would be grateful if you can contribute some knowledge about an Omani khanjar I bought in Nizwa.

When I bought it I took two Omani friends of mine to make sure I get an authentic one and not a tourist replication.

The information I got was that the Khanjar is typical for a coastal region (I think they mentioned the area near Sur). It obviously has a 4 ring design and the front is fully covered with silver work.

The handle is supposed to be Rhino horn. At least from what I can tell it's not wood ^^.

There was no precise information about the age given. They just said it's "an old one".

I have read some other posts in the forum and I was very impressed about what you guys are able to find out.
Salaams marcel.modes ~ Did you buy it in the fort at Nizwa? I must get over there and have a look. Ok this is cowhorn. Nothing wrong with that as its a standard horn used on many daggers. It could be from Sur as its smaller and compact typical of a seamans Khanjar... The decoration is as you say off the coast. Generally we group this design as Baatina (coastal Oman ) but Sur south of Muscat down the coast is probably right. I cant be sure about age but anyway its not new... 20 or 30 years ...please see The Omani Khanjar at http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14878

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote